Have you noticed a lag in your PC performance in past few days? Is your Laptop/PC not performing at desired speeds and rather turned low in performance? Did you notice that the files and folders in your PC take longer than normal to open?
This can be the signs of the need to defrag all your fragmented files stored on your hard drive and especially the bootloader folder, which is usually the Local Disk C, in most of the cases.
Let us take a look at some quick and easy way to defrag Windows 10 as the operating system has got a built-in tool called as Optimize Drives to defrag all the fragmented files and helps your PC perform better.
Using the Optimize Drives on Windows 10
- Open the Start Menu and search Defragment and Optimize Drives and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Select the hard drive you wish to optimize and click on Analyze. Note that if the results show less than 10% fragmentation, you do not need to optimize the drive.
- However, if the files stored on the PC hard drive are scattered everywhere, defragmentation is required, click on the Optimize button.
4. Once the process gets completed, the status will show 0% fragmented.
NOTE: Based on how much your drive is occupied and the number of files stored, the defragmentation time will vary.
Changing the Optimization Schedule
Windows 10 comes with a built-in feature of running the desired maintenance of drives every week. But based on your usage, you get the option of changing the frequency for drive optimization.
- Open the Optimize Drive window and click on the Change Settings button.
- Here you can alter the frequency to Daily, Weekly or Monthly as per your need.
- On the drive, click on the Choose button.
4. Select the drives you want to apply this new schedule.
5. Click on Ok button to apply the settings.
6. Click on Close to quit the tool.
It has to me noted that these optimization options apply to the traditional motor rotational drives. Solid State Drives or SSDs commonly referred, don’t have any moving parts or motors.
We hope that this method proves helpful to you. In the case of any queries, feel free to comment below.